It’s hard for me to believe we have been here long enough to have favorites! However, we are here, six months in and I feel passionate that Jacksonville, Florida should be on your family’s “to visit” list. Jacksonville has some incredibly affordable accommodation options, is centrally located to Orlando and St. Augustine and has a host of amazing things to do as a family.
1) The beach. It’s probably no secret that we spend as much time as we possibly can on the beach. There are so many amazing beach spots here locally: Jax beach, Pointe Vedra, Mickler’s Landing, etc. You can find shark teeth, go fishing, take a surf lesson, or try paddleboarding. We like to pack a lunch and stay all day. Just don’t forget sunscreen.
2) Go fishing- Jacksonville is a really neat place for fishing, because you can fish saltwater or freshwater with relative ease. We tend to fish off the Jacksonville fishing pier or find a nice spot on the surf for some surf fishing. There are also some wonderful charter fishing trips you can go on, too!
3) Visit the Mosh- The Museum of Science and History here is absolutely amazing. Perfect way to cool off on a hot day, while learning something new as a family.
4) Go shopping at the town center- The St. John Town Center has some of our favorite shops: Barnes and Noble, Lilly Pulitzer, The Loft, and Untuckit! They have a play area for kids and lots of great places to eat.
5) Eat at Mama Kim’s Korean BBQ- This is my favorite restaurant I’ve been to since we moved here! Definitely check out for a delicious dinner when you’re in the area.
6) Take a day trip to St. Augustine- We love St. Augustine and it’s an easy day trip. They have adorable stores and restaurants!
7) Visit the state parks in the area. There are some great state parks and National parks in the area! The National Parks even host a junior ranger and junior ranger angler program for kids!