I have always been more productive in the morning hours, and I love how it makes me feel to get a lot achieved by noon. When I sat that tone for day, I feel significantly better as I head into evening (read: witching hour.)
Motherhood has really changed for me what “morning hours” look like. I wake up at 5 am right now, and while some people may think this is insane, but its perfect for me. It usually gives me two hours before my kids wake up to read, work out, do something creative, and daily I dive into God’s word. I’ll get breakfast started during this time, get dressed for the day, and I just feel really ready for my kids when they wake up. My kids are .. er, high energy, so from the moment they are up, I have to be ‘on.’ So, through my five years of motherhood, I’ve decided that two hours for me in the morning is nonnegotiable. It is important to note that after 9 pm, I’m pretty useless.
Most of the time when I mention how early I wake up, someone will comment they wish they could do that. So, I thought it would helpful if I shared some of my advice for waking up a little earlier.
- Set an alarm.
- Have something to look forward to. For me, it is coffee. Some mornings, it is a fitness glass! Some mornings, it is a new audio book or podcast to listen to.
- Get dressed. Don’t just lounge around in your pajamas hoping to wake up! Nah, put on a cute outfit! That way, you will feel much better when it comes to putting your pajamas back on again. So much so that you may decide that twinning with your kid and wearing dinosaur onesies is the way forward. Whatever you do though, just make sure you get dressed during the day.
- Do something you enjoy, something that fills you up.
- Do something that is productive. For example, I might start a load of laundry before I sat down to write a blog post.
- Be gracious. Some mornings, you’re just more exhausted than other mornings and that is completely okay.
- Get good sleep the night before
- Make a list for the day, I do this the day before usually. Just to get an idea of where my day is heading, my biggest tasks, etc.
- Eat a delicious, incredibly filling breakfast!
“She gets up while it is still night;
she provides food for her family” Proverbs 31: 15